No matter how much you crave it, sometimes you can not go on an overseas holiday. You may lack funds, have no time, or the worldwide pandemic restrictions are limiting where you can holiday. Having a holiday in your local area is a perfect choice during times like these. Therefore, we’ve written this post to give you ideas for things to do on a staycation in your home town! This post is about things you can do in your town to turn your home town into a holiday destination. It is for anyone who wants to have a holiday. Please keep reading for 54 Things To Do On A Staycation in Your Home Town.
If you can’t leave your house at the moment as you are unwell or isolating, or you would rather stay at home, we got you!
You will love our ideas for a staycation at home in our post –
73 In-home Staycation Ideas During Lockdown.
Please read it to find out how to turn your stay-at-home into a holiday experience to cherish!
So, a Staycation? What is a Staycation?
Yes, a staycation! It is where your holiday is in your own country, and no international travel is involved. A staycation is also commonly used to refer to travel and accommodation near your home, or where you use your home as the base and explore places in your home town.
It can involve more extended travel to other areas in your country. However, this post is about a staycation in your own home town.
A staycation in your home town has many benefits, among them being the time and money saved on getting to your destination. Yet you can still do the type of things you love to do on holiday.
A staycation can be a half day trip, a one day staycation, a weekend trip, or longer.
What To Do On A Staycation
Our ideas of things to do on a staycation in your home town are the things that travelers love to do when traveling to new places.
We find that when you are in your own home town, you do not do the things you would generally do if you were a visitor.
Having a staycation at home involves an open mind, a positive attitude, and a view to seeing your home town as a tourist would.
Preparing for Your Staycation
Start by deciding what sort of staycation you will take. You need to decide what to do on a staycation that suits you. E.g will you use your car or public transport to get there? Can you afford a few days in a fancy resort, or will you have a budget trip for a night?
Do some research beforehand, and book accommodation to make sure you are staying somewhere that will increase that holiday feeling. Your choice of accommodation can make your holiday even more special. For the ultimate holiday experience, take at least 2 or 3 nights and check into your preferred style of accommodation.
We use Booking.com for all our accommodation bookings because they offer free cancellation and no hidden costs. Additionally, they always provide the best prices. Check them out and book something today. You can always cancel later if you need to.
*Travel Bugs World is reader-supported. This blog post contains affiliate links (meaning we may get a small commission if you buy through our links.) You won’t pay any more if you use these links, and it helps support the site. We Thank You.
Now that you have planned the type of staycation you want, here is the list of ’54 Things To Do On A Staycation in Your Home Town’ to help you decide what to do on a staycation and turn your home town visit into a holiday to remember.
But don’t forget you are going on holiday, so pack the things you love to take on holiday. Make sure you bring your camera and explorers attitude and make sure you leave all your work and any worries behind.
54 Things To Do On A Staycation in Your Home Town
Make ‘getting there’ part of your holiday experience. When flying, you miss out on the sights on the way to your destination. These ideas enable you to start your holiday from the minute you leave the front door and see everything along the way.
- Take a train trip. We love train trips. A train trip is all about the journey. You can spend hours looking out the window while you unwind and leave everything behind you while getting to your destination.
- Go on a road trip. A road trip is one of the best ways to see your local area. It enables you to take things at your own pace and stop when you want. You could even hire a fun car for the occasion.
- Rent a camper. It is our favorite type of trip. You have your transport and accommodation all sorted out from the start. It takes the hassle out of deciding what to do on a staycation as you just stop and sleep wherever takes your fancy.
Are you thinking of going on a road trip?
Read Next – Best Road Trip Tips for Your Vacation.
- Stay in a 5-star hotel. The money you save on expensive airfares can go towards splashing out on expensive accommodation. Make it all about the accommodation and spend days indulging in your hotel’s offerings.
- Go camping. Another side of your home town is to go camping. Buy a tent and then enjoy a budget holiday. The things to do on staycation are to see the best of nature in your area. Alternatively, if you are not overly fond of roughing it, you could try glamping. Glamping is camping with luxurious accommodation and facilities. For more information on glamping, check out All About Glamping.
- Book a local Airbnb. You could choose one with a hot spa or rural views. You won’t need to do much on this type of holiday except relax and indulge in excellent food, drinks, and views.
- Stay at a beachfront resort or motel. Our favorite thing to do is to find a resort or motel with a balcony overlooking the sea. We spend our days taking walks on the beach and having fun in the sun (weather permitting). Nothing is as special as allowing the ocean views to rejuvenate you all day.
- Start with celebration drinks. We always start our holidays with drinks. We are celebrating after all! So whether it is at the hotel bar or a bar nearby, have a couple of drinks to celebrate being on holiday, even if it’s a staycation at home.
- Have a picnic or BBQ in the park. Pack your favorite foods, a blanket, music, and a carefree attitude, and spend the day relaxing in a local park.
- Have sunset drinks on a rooftop bar. See the best views your town has to offer and enjoy drinks at sunset from a rooftop bar.
- Go out for breakfast. Have that big breakfast or a cake and cappuccino, and start the day by indulging in your favorite foods.
- Go to a vineyard for wine tasting. For those who like to take indulgence to another level, go on a wine tasting tour. Or, if there is no vineyard in your area, you can also have a delightful tasting experience in a wine bar.
- Enjoy fine dining. Splash out on an elegant restaurant you have dreamed of trying out. Further, get dressed up for the occasion and make a night of it. What is a staycation without the same fun experiences you have when traveling abroad!
Embrace the Explorer Within
- Drop by a Visitors Information Center. Instead of wondering what to do during staycation, learn about your town from a traveler’s perspective. Pick up some free brochures about your town and spend an hour or two browsing them over a cup of coffee.
- Go on a tour of your town. If yours has a “hop on hop off bus”, these self-guided tours will drive you to all the major attractions of your town. Otherwise, use the brochures you collected to guide you on a day of visiting the recommended top 10 landmarks in your town.
- Go to church or other holy places. Even if you don’t follow the faith, be like a tourist and go for the architecture, cultural experience, and peaceful vibes. This is one of the things to do during staycation that we love.
- Tour the historical sites in your area. Find out the heritage attractions of your area and visit them. It could include old buildings or monuments, but also parks or other sites.
- Visit the statues and street art in your town. Most places have statues to honor, memorialize or beautify the town. If not, the things to do on staycation can include exploring any outdoor fixtures and make sure to look out for street art.
- Try geocaching. Have you tried geocaching? It is where you go on a treasure hunt using your GPS. We recently discovered it, and it can be addictive. Just sign up at the official Geocaching site and get ready for an adventure.
- Go on a photographic tour. If photographers in your town offer tours, they will usually take you to the best locations for the most Instagram-worthy photos. Otherwise, check out Instagram for a location search of your area and make your own photographic tour.
- Visit a nearby town. You don’t need to stay in your home town to enjoy a staycation. You can do all the above things in a nearby town or any town!
- Day at the beach. You don’t need to make plans or think about what to do on a staycation. Simply spend the day at the beach, swimming or relaxing and watching the waves. Further, our holiday wouldn’t be complete without beachside walks, dining out by the sea, and drinks on the balcony at our beachfront accommodation.
- Spend the day at the lake or river. Equally enjoyable is a day on the lake or river where you can indulge in a picnic, go kayaking, try fishing, or go freshwater swimming.
- Visit a national park. See if they have huts or cabins available and make the most of nature on an overnight trip.
- Go to the botanical gardens. If there are no national parks close enough to your home town, you could visit the local gardens. Usually, there are beautiful flowers and a cafe to enjoy for a few hours.
- Go to a garden center with a cafe. Garden centers are a wonder for the senses. Additionally, you may find plants you love to take home to try your hand at gardening. We also check to see if there is a cafe, as then we get to have coffee and cake surrounded by lovely plants.
- Take a drive to a produce farm. Choose one that offers pick-your-own or one that provides fresh produce at the gate.
- Watch the sunset. Ahh, our favorite outdoor activity! Preferably at the beach with a cocktail in our hand. This is one of the things that make a staycation at home a magical experience.
- Spend the day fishing. Not only do you get to spend hours relaxing on the water’s edge, but if you get lucky, you’ll be eating fresh fish for dinner.
- Go skiing. If it is winter and you are near snowfields, indulge in some fun in the snow. Otherwise, you could also go ice skating or even roller-skating.
- Take a coastal walk or bushwalk. Hiking is one of those activities that allow you to get fit, as well as explore all the natural wonders of your area.
- Climb a mountain. It’s not for everyone, but mountain climbing is another way to get fit. Additionally, it offers a chance to explore nature while getting lost in your thoughts.
- Go on a bike ride. There is a resurgence in bicycle riding all over the world. It’s a safe and healthy way to travel, and it’s quicker than walking and more fun than a car.
- Get rowdy at a sporting event. The adrenalin and enjoyment of seeing a favorite sports team can make you feel energized.
- Go bowling. Whether it is tenpin or outdoor bowls, it is a couple of hours of fun you can have even when you are not on holiday.
- Have a round of golf. Or you could start with mini-golf if you are new to the sport.
- Go snorkeling or diving. Discover what wildlife lives in the water in your home town.
Relaxing Staycation Ideas for Connoisseurs of Relaxation
- Go to a spa for the day. Indulge yourself in a massage or facial and come out feeling rejuvenated. This is an especially indulgent choice when you want to make the most out of a one day staycation.
- Go to a health or yoga retreat. Alternatively, go for whole body rejuvenation and get healthy while cleansing your mind and body. If there are no retreats in your area, look for a yoga or meditation class.
- Splash out on a boat cruise. Does your home town have a harbor, lake or river? Enjoy a day out on the water on a cruise or yachting. Better yet, go on an overnight cruise if available.
- Try stargazing. If your area doesn’t have stargazing tours, download a free app such as Skyview for a self-guided tour of the skies. Choose somewhere where there is not much light from the city streets. Perhaps by the sea or somewhere in the countryside.
- Hang out in a local cafe. Holidays are not just about doing lots of things all the time. We are slow travelers and love nothing more than spending a few hours at a local cafe without the need to rush. We love the opportunity to enjoy the views while eating and people-watching.
- Read a book. Choose a lovely cafe, the beach, or your hotel balcony with a view and spend the day reading a book without having to worry about doing anything else. Or just enjoy it anywhere you choose to have a staycation at home.
Arts & Culture
- Visit a Museum. Nothing says holiday more than taking a few hours to leisurely browse through a museum. Even if museums are usually not on your radar, it is something new you can try.
- Pop into an art gallery. Same as museums, art galleries are predominantly the domain of tourists. But embrace the artist within and see another side of your home town. You may be surprised by the inspiration you get.
- Go to a concert. Whether it is an orchestra, ballet, a pop concert, or a free acoustic session at a local pub, concerts enable you to discover new sounds and release feel-good endorphins.
- Support the Arts Industry by going to the theatre. It is a surprise how many people never go to the theatre until they go on holiday. Shout yourself to a night of live drama or even a comedy show.
Things to do During Staycation For the Young at Heart
- Go on a bar crawl. What could be more fun than staying in a city center hotel in the middle of all the nightlife and bar-hopping till dawn?
- Amusement park. We love visiting amusement parks when we travel. You can have a day of fun and adventure.
- Go to the zoo or visit an aquarium. Seeing animals is a refreshing way to spend the day. Zoos and aquariums offer the opportunity to see animals that you may not get to see otherwise. Alternatively, you could visit a lake or reserve known for wildlife and see animals in their natural habitat.
What is a staycation for the Discerning Traveler?
- Go to the market or farmers’ market. Though, don’t spend the day getting your weekly groceries; it is about the sights and sounds and sampling new foods. Pick up some local delicacies and have lunch in your hotel or a park.
- Do a one day staycation cooking class. Cooking classes are fun activities that reward you with something delicious to eat. Plus, you get to take home a new recipe.
- Antique shopping. Visit antique shops, hunt for some treasure, and take home a relic from the past. Or, just go window shopping and on a journey of discovery.
- Staycation at home. Much easier than a vacation in your home town and with many options is a staycation at home. You don’t need to spend any time traveling or even get out of your pajamas. Visit our post 73 In-home Staycation Ideas During Lockdown for ideas on home to turn your stay-at-home into a holiday experience. Whether it’s lockdown or you just want to create a holiday vibe in your home, there are ideas for you.
What do you think of our things to do on a staycation in your home town? Are you inspired to go on a staycation? What is a staycation that you would love to take? Please leave us a comment and tell us where you are thinking of going. We would love to hear about your staycation ideas.
Don’t stay home; test out your travel feet and go out for a one day staycation or weekend staycation.
If you enjoyed this post, please share to social media.